Schools and parents typically requests professional functional behavioral assessment in order to understand why a behavior occurs. At Behavior & Educational Solutions we have psychologists and Board Certified Behavior Analysts who understand how analyze a child based on the interactions between the child and his/her environment. An important aspect of a functional behavioral assessment is to understand why a person engages in the behavior so that it can be substituted by a more appropriate behavior that serves the same function.
Why Students Need Functional Behavioral Assessments
A functional behavioral assessment will list the behaviors that an individual must change in addition to providing solutions. Schools are required to have functional behavioral assessments performed on different populations of students, including:
• Students who have been suspended
• Students who are beginning an alternative school placement
• Students who are at risk for permanent expulsion
• Students who are listed as mentally challenged or learning disabled
What Information Is Included In a Functional Behavior Assessment?
Functional Behavior Assessments created by Behavior & Educational Solutions take into account developmental expectations and realities. Assessments include specific information such as:
- A detailed account of the problem behavior
- Identifying why this inappropriate behavior occurs
- The factors motivating the problem behavior
- What causes the inappropriate behavior to continue
- The ways that a student can change their inappropriate behavior